Monday, March 1, 2010

Mystery menu

Mike and I put on a fancy dinner for friends Saturday night. It turned out to be a very fun night with good company and conversation.

We did a 'mystery meal'. I was inspired to do this from memories of my parents doing this years ago. I also did it with friends as a little kid and it was always a good time. This was a 7 course meal with a 'coded menu'. Our menu, of course, was in Latin with our Classics background. Each guest was given a menu and they had to pick one item from each course and the order in which they wanted each item. So each person was getting a different surprise each course. Kim and I were up in the kitchen preparing the food while Mike was the waiter as he brought each course down to our company. Everyone was pleasantly surprised by the elegance: dimmed lighting, white table clothes, wine, cheese, bread, and 7 courses of good food if I do say so myself! Calzones, crab chicken pot pie and manicotti were the main course with soups, fruits, drinks, veggies to accompany it. It was fun to serve couples who are special
friends and have busy lives.

It was a good deal of work, but certainly worth it! Mike and I are already talking about what we would do different when we do it again. We were so busy the whole evening we only took a picture of the menu after everyone left!

No comments: