Wednesday, June 23, 2010

World Cup character


The World Cup game this morning between the U.S. and Algeria is why I love soccer so much and why I appreciate sports in general so much. The U.S. should have won their last game against Slovenia 3-2 last week; BUT the referee called a 'mysterious' foul on us and the goal was disallowed. (Since then, that ref has been sent home! No more World Cup for him.)I was very impressed with the U.S. players' and coaches reaction to that injustice. They were classy, respectful and looking forward to their next game instead of publicly grumbling about the bad call.

This morning the U.S. scored in the 91st minute of the game which is technically overtime (they play 90 minutes plus injury time). The U.S. had many many good chances, but they did not give up physically or mentally and they got the job done. The U.S. was incredibly fun to watch as they so clearly wanted the win as they hustled and did everything in their power to put the ball in the net. Our small gang at my Dad's place erupted when we scored; poor Jude, he thought the world was ending. Over the years, soccer has taught me so much about hard work, teamwork, determination, perseverance, cooperation, mental toughness, concentration, patience, and the list goes on and on. These all build a person's character and also apply to most every other area in a person's life.

I have been watching one World Cup game every day. The thought runs through my mind, "What a waste of time!" but then immediately I shrug that thought off as my competitive spirit soaks in the the game, I think about the fact that it is summer time, soccer is the most beloved sport worldwide, this is the best soccer a person can watch and it only happens once every four years! I love it and it is worth it.

No comments: