Sunday, October 31, 2010

A second mother


On Friday we were able to take care of friends' 4 month old baby, Ava. It was absolutely fascinating to see how Faustina responded to her and helped take care of her.

I know many toddlers like babies, but Faustina really wanted to be her mother!The five hours Ava was with us, Faustina's attention did not waver. She wanted to feed her, burp her, give her toys, she insisted if Ava cried that her tummy hurt because she was hungry.

I guess the most surprising thing to me was that she actually was helpful! I don't expect toddlers to be of much help until they are maybe three or four, and even then it seems limited. For the better part of an hour I was able to work at the stove a few feet away from Faustina and Ava while Faustina played with her and actually gave a bottle when she was fussy.

Just a few minutes ago I was holding Jude in blanket and Faustina was holding her baby wrapped in a blanket;every single action and affection I displayed she imitated me exactly for about 15 minutes. Hilarious. It was like I was looking in the mirror, except it was my daughter; it is all very fun.

Of course, Faustina's mothering side also includes her following Jude around saying, "No, No, No....Jude. You stop that or you will go in your crib. One...Two...Three..."

No comments: