Friday, April 15, 2011

We made the switch

Over to Saint Agnes that is. During this Lent we have been going to Mass at Saint Agnes Church. Since Mike starting working at Saint Agnes School 2 years ago, I knew we would probably move over there at some point.

Since I studied in Rome during college, I came to truly love beautiful churches. One of the classes I took was a three hour on-sight course going to all the churches around Rome and learning about them. As I look back it was life changing and left impressions on me that I never knew would have such a long term impact. It is our human nature, we simply are built to seek beauty, imitate it and love it - we can't resist being drawn to it!

Here we find ourselves parishioners at Saint Agnes and here area few things I appreciate about it.

- the stunning Church itself! The Staions of the Cross are breathtaking, the statues around the Church allow me to experience the communion of Saints in a real way, all the art work is inspiring and brings my mind to the Divine

- As I get older and experience more joys and hardships in life, I find that the only true refuge for my heart is in the Church. Why would I settle for anything less than throwing myself into a parish which is always faithful to the Church's teaching (unfortunately, that is not the case with all parishes)

- We were married and had our kids baptized at the Cathedral - another beautiful Church. The influence that the art work has on the kids' and the images alone is enough for me to go to Saint Agnes. The pictures and statues tell the stories of our faith, history and traditions sometimes better than we adults can explain. I love to see Jude looking up at a statue Mary holding Jesus while he points and says, "Jesus!"

- The priests and their homilies are always quality, make me think, they are substantive, and educational. That is what I am looking for!

- I love the alter boys. They are a beautiful picture in and of themselves and always make me think of little angels surrounding the priest!

- The community is like no other. It is a culture of life with many kids and people of all types. Where else would you hear a man telling a friend (on the stairs going down to get donuts after Mass) "Thank you! Yes, this is our 6th child. My brother and his wife just had their 10th and my sister just had her 8th child." !!! Talk about a culture of life.

- I thoroughly appreciate the communion rail where you kneel and priest places the Eucharist in your mouth. This way of receiving communion puts in the forefront of my mind Jesus' sacrifice and that I am receiving the Divine Body of Christ.

- We already knew many people since Mike works there. It already felt like community when we switched over.

- We thoroughly enjoy the donuts and fellowship afterward! Not to mention they make amazing egg breakfast sandwiches. :)

The following quote sums it up:

When you step through the doorway of a church you are leaving the outer-world behind and entering an inner world. The outside world is a fair place abounding in life and activity, but also a place with a mingling of the base and ugly. It is a sort of market place, crossed and recrossed by all and sundry. Perhaps 'unholy' is not quite the word for it, yet there is something profane about the world. Behind the church doors is an inner place, separated from the market place, a silent, consecrated and holy spot. It is very certain that the whole world is the work of God and his gift to us, that we may meet Him anywhere, that everything we receive is from God's hand, and, when received religiously, is holy. Nevertheless men have always felt that certain precincts were in a special manner set apart and dedicated to God. ~ From Sacred Signs by Romano Guardini

No comments: