Friday, April 1, 2011

Learning new skills

This past year I have dove 100% into quilting and it is quite addicting. I embraced the long winter since I was happy with a cup of tea and the sewing machine in the basement working on quilts.

Quilting quickly opened my world to sewing and all the beautiful things I could potentially make. When Faustina moved into her 'big girl bed', I thought "What the heck, there are so many beautiful fabrics, I should just make Faustina's duvet.". I did and it was a fun project.

Unfortunately these crafts are not always as economical as going to the nearby Walmart and buying something made in China. Unfortunately. But, as I gather JoAnne coupons and look for deals, it can cut even with buy store bought stuff.

Many individuals ask me, "Why would you spend so much time on these projects when you can just go buy something?". Well, I guess there are a few reasons I would give.

1. I love doing things with my hands. That is probably just the way I'm built - I love manual labor type projects and creations. I sometimes joke that I should have been born hundreds of years ago - I enjoy doing sewing, knitting, cooking, outdoor work etc. Now these activities are more hobbies than necessary labors.

2. I like being creative.

3. I enjoy learning (I learned how to make button holes doing this duvet cover)

4. I think it is important to learn and practice skills. It is the case 'these days' (I sound like an old crabby person) that people don't have any practical skills. This could prove to be a big problems in the years and decades to come if the NEED for skills in life arises again and we don't have everything at our 10 second disposal.

5. I appreciate handing these skills, traditions, and culture to our kids. I know my Mother did and I am so appreciative.

6. It can save money done in the right way.

The duvet cover is from Amy Butler's 'In Stitches' book which has many very cute ideas and has a good range of beginner patterns to more experienced. Here is a picture of the duvet pattern from the book and then a picture of the book.

No comments: