Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Successful half marathon

This past weekend we headed up to Duluth in order for Mike to run the Grandma's half marathon early on Saturday morning (6am!). It turned out to be a fun time - we were fortunate to be able to stay at Grand Superior Lodges which our S-I-L's parents own. It is a big place with a spectacular view of Lake Superior about 50 feet from the window.

I am so proud of my dear husband who ran the half marathon in 2 hours and 20 minutes. His goal?! To finish in any sort of decent time and keep up with the buddy he ran it with! And he did! This is especially impressive since Mike was only able to do minimal training with such a busy spring and weather outside that was less than inspiring to run in.
We both ran the full Grandma's marathon in 2007, but Mike forgot his running shoes! Since he wasn't able to finish that run because his feet were about to fall off in the new shoes he bought, it was even more fun to see him enjoy completing this race.
Unfortunately we weren't able to be at the finish line to cheer him on since late Friday night I got pretty sick and was fairly miserable; I stayed back with the kids in the morning which may have worked out for the best since Mike left at 4am (!). The rest of the weekend I was fine and we relaxed by watching movies, eating good home cooked meals and enjoying the jacuzzi. Can't ask for much more! I don't think I have ever seen Faustina so excited as when we arrived at the lodge. She was bouncing off the walls and exclaimed, "I want to stay here for FIVE minutes!....or maybe forever!" She doesn't have a great grasp of different times yet, so she covered it all, I guess.






No comments: