Monday, May 11, 2009

Pottery Tour '09



The past few years I have come to look forward to Mother's Day weekend, not exactly to celebrate motherhood, but to celebrate pottery! About 45 minutes north on 35E there is an annual Pottery tour on mother's day. 6 different local artists host a show where many out of state artists display their work.

We met our friend Ernie from last year who was taking photos of the event. He was especially interested in photographing my very pregnant self. It was fun to see him again and he was excited to meet little Faustina who was in my tummy last year at this time.

It really is a fun time. Each location has drinks and appetizers; it is fun to chat with people you meet there as you walk around and appreciate the abundance of talent on display. The artists' work includes, plates, cups, vases, big bowls, teapots, jewelry boxes, you name it. The pieces are not cheap, but I believe it is worth it to support handmade crafts and artists at their best.

We live in a world were convenience has become a virtue. Plastic, cheaply made items, or machine made items account for much of our daily living. Unfortunately, our culture has lost appreciation for craftsmanship; life is simply to busy for most people. I was lucky to have an upbringing where my parents instilled an appreciation for handiwork. My father and brother are talented in woodworking and my mother has always made our food from scratch, made clothes, tried different crafts, etc. Both my parents grew up on farms - and I can see how they brought a great deal of their heritage to St. Paul when they moved from North Dakota.

We enjoy using our pottery everyday and it is always fun to add to the collection. Until next year!

No comments: