Monday, August 16, 2010

The rich man went away sad


I find that it is so easy to become 'comfortable' with all the possessions I am blessed with. Most of the time, my blessings seem to result in me wanting more! It is easy to be disappointed or sad if things to do not go my way. Today's gospel is the parable of Jesus asking the rich young man to sell his possessions; the rich man chose to keep his possessions instead of following Christ. I was struck by a reflection on this parable about the fact that the rich man went away sad.

"He became sad at exchanging the chance of eternal life for a handful of dust. He preferred to keep his dust, his wealth instead of choosing the imperishable gift offered by Christ. Sadness does a good deal of harm to the soul. Like a moth in clothing, or a maggot in wood, sorrow gnaws at the human heart, and predisposes one to evil. We have to react right away if at any time sadness should come over our soul: Delight your soul and comfort your heart, and remove sorrow far from you, for sorrow has destroyed many and there is no profit in it." - In Conversation With God

I love the hard core meditations - they say it like it is.

No comments: