Friday, September 17, 2010

Saint of the Day

The last few months I have started putting the Feast Days up on our chalk board by the back door. I have enjoyed doing this since it makes me more aware of the Catholic calendar year, not to mention that it helps me to learn more about each of these saints; also, as a family we can ask for the saints intercession regularly. It is fun to see Faustina learn about the saints and their roles in history.

Today is the optional memorial of St. Robert Bellarmine. He was an Italian living in the sixteenth century and he became a bishop and doctor. I mentioned this to Faustina earlier in the day. Later in the day while we were in the car, Faustina asked if Father Erickson was a bishop (he was over for dinner a few night ago). I was surprised by her question because although I am sure she does not fully understand what she is asking...she is starting to connect some dots.


Here is a quote from our saint for the day:

"Sweet Lord, you are meek and merciful." Who would not give himself wholeheartedly to your service, if he began to taste even a little of your fatherly rule? What command, Lord, do you give your servants? "Take my yoke upon you," you say. And what is this yoke of yours like? "My yoke," you say, "is easy and my burden light." Who would not be glad to bear a yoke that does no press hard but caresses? Who would not be glad for a burden that does not weigh heavy but refreshes? And so you were right to add: "And you will find rest for your souls." And what is this yoke of yours that does not weary, but gives rest? It is, of course, that first and greatest commandment: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart." What is easier, sweeter, more pleasant, than to love goodness, beauty, and love, the fullness of which you are, O Lord, my God?"

~ Saint Robert Bellarmine, from The Ascent of the Mind to God

No comments: