Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"Of all that is seen and unseen"

The last several weeks I have been struck by the following line in bold when saying the Nicene Creed.
"I believe in One God the Father the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
Of all that is seen and unseen."

It is right at the beginning of the prayer and I have come to love this line more and more as I realize how little I know the Lord and what the Lord's Will is for me and our family at any given time. In one sense it can be frustrating because I want to believe that I make progress and do, in fact, know the Lord more intimately all the time - but it is also exhilarating to know that his goodness is infinite and there are infinite ways for me to know him more! I find myself praying for specific things that I think are good or blessings that I think would make sense. Sometimes the Lord answers in ways that I recognize, want or in ways that fulfill my emotional desires, but more often than not he asks me to trust him and be patient and let my life unfold according to his own design. And so I keep going back to the line "Of all that is seen and unseen." I meditate on how powerfully the Lord works and moves people's hearts and minds and my own that other individuals will never know about - but it is a reality. And thus, "I believe in all that is seen and unseen."

Today is the feast day of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Rosary has become a sort of foundation in my prayer over the last several years, so today is a special day to honor Mary as we celebrate her visiting Elizabeth.

A mediation in the Magnificat captures much of what I have been thinking about and it was a joy to stumble upon it today:

"The events of today's mystery bring before the faithful in a peculiar manner the fact that our God is a hidden God, and that his power works in the soul a secret and impenetrable manner. Four people are concerned in the occurrence we are celebrating: Jesus and Mary; Saint John and his mother Saint Elizabeth. Now, it is most remarkable that of all these sacred personages the only one who seems to perform no particular action is the Son of God himself. Elizabeth, enlightened from on high, acknowledges the Blessed Virgin's dignity and humbles herself deeply before her: "When is this to me?" (Lk 1"43). John, even within Elizabeth's womb, feels his Divine Master's presence, and shows his joy in a wonderful way: he "leaped for joy". Mary, marveling at the great effects of divine omnipotence in herself, exalts the holy name of God and declares his munificence in her behalf, with her whole heart. But all this time Jesus himself, hidden beneath his Mother's breast gives no sensible sign of his presence. He, who is the cause of the whole mystery, takes no active part in it.
Strange as this may seem, it is not really surprising. Our Lord here hides his power intentionally, to show us how is the invisible force that moves all things without moving himself, and directs all things without showing his hand. Hence, we shall find that though he may seem to be passive on this occasion, his influence is fully apparent in the actions of the rest, whose movements are really inspired by him alone.
One of the greatest mysteries of Christianity is the holy union that the Son of God forms with us, and his secret way of visiting us...When God deigns to look upon us, we can but learn from Elizabeth how to reverence his supreme greatness by fully recognizing our own nothingness, and to acknowledge his benefits by confessing our own unworthiness."
-Bishop Jacques Benigne Bossuet (died 1704)

No comments: