Saturday, April 25, 2009

My new obsession




This may look to you like a simple blender, but oh no folks, this is a vita-mix. And it is truly amazing. A few weeks ago I convinced Mike (it wasn't very hard to) that we need one of these kitchen appliances, and I have been using it incessantly since then.

I wrote awhile ago how I have been trying to have Mike and I drink these green smoothies regularly. The smoothie has any sort of green leaf in it (kale, spinach, romaine lettuce, etc) along with either a fruit of your choice or other things such as avacados,tomatoes, onion, garlic, etc. Our old blender left a kind of 'chunky' smoothie because some of these ingredients can be difficult to grind to a creamy consistency. The vitamix, however, completely pulverizes anything in it to the finest possible texture.

The novel aspect of the vitamix is that it has an incredibly powerful motor. It has a low speed and the high speed goes as fast as 250 mph. Their sales pitch is that you can make staple items typically bought at the store easily at home - for example mayonnaise, salsa, ice cream, peanut butter, soup, and you can even grind wheatberries to make your own wheat flour - and it takes just a few minutes. For peanut butter, you just buy peanuts and pulverize them in the vitamix and you have peanut butter (there is enough oil in the peanuts). Mayonnaise only calls for 5 simple items. And when you make these items yourself, they are much more nutritious.

I have made ice cream and it turned out great. Actually, I like it better than store bought stuff because I put less sugar in it. I made asparagus soup. For the soup you let it run for 4 minutes and the vitamix even makes the soup so hot that it is steaming and ready to eat. This weekend Mike has been sick so I have been juicing 2 oranges so Mike has fresh OJ. Faustina likes it too and you can see.

No comments: