Saturday, July 18, 2009

The homestretch

I now have about 5 weeks left before this baby's due date. That may sounds like a long time to some people, but it is beginning to feel like it could be next week to me! The anticipation is fun, I love it.

Over the past few months and even now, I receive comments expressing surprise that I am so far along and am not showing very much. A few days ago a friend asked how I was feeling and her sister standing next to her said, "What? You're pregnant?" And then Mike told me to stand sidewise and she said, "Oooooohhhhh, I see it." Yes, the profile is quite obvious. I must admit, it has been nice to stay a bit smaller since I was able to fit into my own cloths longer and avoid (from my perspective the dreaded) maternity clothes. Even if I'm not showing as much as a person would expect, this baby IS coming soon!

Although the little bugger in here may be a bit smaller, s/he is a powerful little one. The past week the baby has taken to become incredibly active right around 10pm. It feels like there is a rock concert going on in my stomach. I have been getting up about 6-7 times a night to go to the bathroom or from the baby kicking, feeling plenty of braxtin-hicks contractions, sleeping is a bit more challenging, my back is a bit sore (making me aware of my poor posture!), and in general I am slowing down a bit. Nesting mode is here; although I do not have motivation to clean up and organize, it is weighing heavy on my mind to get things in order soon here. :)

Faustina's birth is VERY clear in my mind only being 14 months ago. And believe it or not, I am really quite excited for this birth. I had such a wonderful experience bringing her into the world that I would be lucky to duplicate that story; I understand, however, that each birth is so different and that is why I wait eagerly to see what will happen with this baby. I am excited for the birth itself, excited to meet this little person, anxious to find out the gender, curious to see how Faustina interacts with her new sibling, and in general thankful to the Lord for our expanding family.

This pregnancy has been so very different from my pregnancy with Faustina. I now understand why women love being pregnant! (I didn't understand that so much while carrying my little girl ;) This time around I haven't been sick at all, I have had cliche' cravings of eggs, hamburgers, ice cream - but they sure are real!, I love feeling the baby kick and move around now, and it has been great to do this a second time and have this something to compare this pregnancy to.

Although we're not planning on the baby coming early, we wouldn't be surprised since Faustina was about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. The 'when, where, how, gender, name' questions are all fun to think about since they are a mystery now. Soon, very soon, we'll have a second birth story to tell!

No comments: