Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lord of the rosary

With all that has been going on the past 6 months, I have slowly been making my way through Tolkien's trilogy. In the spring I sped through rereading "The Hobbit", but then with Mom being sick, summer, new job, baby etc...I didn't have much time for any reading.

I am nearing the end of the first book and I am completely taken with the story. I look forward to now watching the movies again. All I want to do is sick down and get through them, but something seems to always be interrupting me.

Reading "The Lord of the Rings" series has not only captured my imagination, but my dreams as well! Last night my dreams put a new spin on Frodo's adventures. My name in the dream last night was Miss Frodo (sorry dear husband!) but I was not a hobbit. I was human still. And I was on an adventure that was not protecting a ring, but a sacred rosary! We had to get this rosary back to the Vatican where it belonged. I couldn't put it around my neck because it was too powerful, so I had to be very careful how I carried it so that I would not lose it. Then all these old acquaintances and friends entered the dream (people I haven't thought about or talked to in a long time) and some were on the 'dark' side and some were on the 'good' side (I won't mention names ;). But we traveled through a dark forest where the trees could get up and walk with their roots as legs and we were heading for huge mountains which were the Grand Tetons (even though that is nowhere near Italy) in my dream. It was so strange and so real that it is still very vivid in my memory. I kept wondering where Merry, Pippin and Sam were because I wanted to meet them. And some of my friends had hobbit bodies or elf bodies! Wow, it was very bizarre.

But as I read "The Lord of the Rings" I truly am stunned at how Tolkien created this whole new world. It is incredibly engaging and even addicting to read. Tolkien was so creative, I just wonder, how did he come up with these detailed scenes and story lines!? What a fun read, it will be fun to do it again when the kids get older.

No comments: