Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The four last things

I am part of a women's group on Tuesday nights that reads various documents of the Catholic Church and discusses them. This evening, at one point, we were talking about the four last things: death, heaven, hell, and judgment.

We were talking more in depth about how there are 2 judgments: a particular judgment when a person dies, but then also another 'final' judgment when Christ comes. This final judgment only comes at the very 'end' because after we die, our good or bad deeds and influences continue on in this world to affect it in a very real way. Any of our actions have a ripple effect on people, how people think, and often times their decisions. This list of people we influence includes immediate and extended family, friends, co-workers, childhood friends, schoolmates, neighbors, anyone. It is mind-boggling to think that one person's actions have a ripple effect on all of eternity! And that is why there is a last judgment - we need to wait and see what happens in the world and we will be judged accordingly.

Perhaps it can be overwhelming to think of wrongs I have done in the past, but it is exciting to think of all the possibilities to do good in the future for people. The ancients believed a large family, fame and reputation, and many possessions were a sign of a 'good' man. In the Christian life, however, the truth is that Christ wants us to serve others, sacrifice in whatever way he calls us to, and we may never know the full impact we have on other people.

A memory came to my mind the other day about my Mom. We were driving home down Randolph in St. Paul and she was telling me how incredibly happy she was in life. But she loved her husband and children more than anything, she loved staying at home, and just loved her life. She said she wouldn't give anything to change her age of 42 or stage in life to go back in the past or be younger. I remember thinking, "Really? I think I have a way more fun life than you Mom!" Haha.

But those little things matter, and obviously my Mom's influence stuck with me since I remember it now! And hopefully I can pass on that same love of life, ability to live in the present moment and zeal for serving our Lord that my Mom had.

The catechism says that the faithful believe we were redeemed at our baptism, believe we are being redeemed in the present time, and have hope we will be redeemed on the last day. What a merciful God we have - He certainly covers everything!

No comments: