Thursday, January 14, 2010

"I desire to do your will"

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you, and I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore, I will trust you always. Though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death I will not fear, for you are ever with me and you will never leave me to face my peril alone.

Thomas Merton 1915-1968

I think this prayer beautifully captures the walk of faith as a person ardently desires to pursue God yet is unsure of how to do so. A relative posted this in the comment section on my Dad's blog. A good prayer to remember.

Life at 2006 Morgan has been laid up with me being sick this whole week, and a very busy work schedule for Mike. I have not left the house in four days! Actually, it is probably okay to be sick every so often so that I remember to be grateful for good health.

Yesterday afternoon I took a short nap with Jude and I woke up with just a wicked nasty ear ache. I've never had a ear infection before and this was brutal. I felt like my head was going to explode with pressure. I called the nurse line and she was not very helpful; I did not want to go into urgent care. Mike came home and prayed over my ear. I laid down and I thought "I should try some wheatgrass and see if that would help. It certainly cannot hurt." So Mike juiced wheatgrass for me. I kid you not, within 3 minutes my sore throat vanished. And then after about 15 minutes the pain in my ear went away, although it still has not popped. People would think I am crazy for sure, but I know the wheatgrass did the job. Mom must have been praying for me! It was funny because even though Mom wasn't here with me, I felt like she was walking with me in my thoughts. She wasn't here, but she really was here! Hopefully, the kids don't get this nasty cold and I am ready to be done with it.

No comments: