Saturday, January 30, 2010

Projects, projects, projects

In this regard, I am very much my Mother's daughter. She had so many projects on hand and so many things to keep her busy; one thing she said often was "Cynthia, I have so much work to do, how will ever get anything done?!". Mom enjoyed being with people, serving them, spending time grandkids (probably her favorite one), quilting, knitting, making cards, sewing, gardening, baking, cooking, you name any domestic skill, project or craft and Mother would love to be part of it. Now, my dear Mother was a perfectionist, which is an especially good attribute when it comes to making things. And that is one area I am trying to improve on because it certainly does not come naturally for me!

When I was in college I started knitting and Mom got into it with me. She drove down to St. Peter several times when I was a sophomore and we took a class together that taught us how to make a rambling knitted blanket. My latest project I finished is a little sweater for Jude. It turned out well, although babies grow so fast he will probably only wear it a few months which is fine. There are so many other fun projects to start that I find myself a bit overwhelmed thinking about them! This reminds me of Mom.

Just even in these last few months since Mom died, I do enjoy these projects because it reminds me of doing things with her and I feel close to her as I work on them. She made a gorgeous baby quilt that we use every day for Jude. I believe Mom started quilting because Grandma Ruby Lee made quilts. We still use the colorful square baby quilt that Grandma Ruby Lee made for me when I was a baby. I like to think that a person is giving a little bit of themselves in these projects with the time, effort and love they take put into them.



1 comment:

小紅 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.