Friday, May 21, 2010

Encouraging article on our food industry

This article from The Atlantic was a pleasant surprise for me to read. It is about how Walmart of all places is starting to compete with high end grocery stores like Whole Foods. Walmart is working with small local farm within 50-100 miles of their store and making organic produce affordable. It, actually, is quite shocking and very uplifting when it is easy to despair about the dire state our food industry is in.

Last summer I went to the movie "Food Inc" with my Mom and Dad at the Lagoon Theater. I could not bring myself to eat store bought meat for several months; even when I would be at restraunts or friends' houses I would think about the meat after seeing that movie. I am grateful that twice a year our family buys a cow from a local farm and splits it up 4 ways. The cows are grass fed, the prices are very reasonable, and the meat is delicious. I don't have to worry about ingesting an animal that was wading around in its own manure on the farm (yuck!).

No comments: